Monday, December 20, 2010

Some People... epilogue

I thought this subject was exhausted but today I received the following form post from my website:

"The images used on your most recent blog are our images, and are copyrighted as such. This is our one request for you to take them down, they are not public domain. If you do not, we will then go to Blogger and will continue with legal action. This is also slander and defamation. 
Thank you,  
Audra & Brennan Dance
Loved To Death"

I find it fascinating that they consider fully outfitted Mattel Barbie dolls (down to the accessories) with taxidermy heads and paws stuck on them as their intellectual property. Not to mention, images of cases from private collections and used with permission by me on my site are somehow in the Public Domain for their use to make their site more interesting.  

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe slanderous comments must be false and to have your character defamed you have to actually start with a good reputation.

I presented two images of pieces they sold as original works next to the original source material (Mattel Barbies) as a critique and illustration of the use of non-original source materials.  Pretty sure that falls under the Fair Use clause.

Now, time for this girl to get back to her studio... and some other girl to get back to her glue gun.


1 comment:

  1. Posted by Anonymous December 21, 2010 7:03 AM
    wow! So sorry you are experiencing this.....it is really creepy.....

    ReplyDelete